I am not HIV. My name is Tebogo and I am living with HIV.

 Who is Tebogo?

-Tebogo is a 24 year old fellow who was born and bred in the graceful town called the city of roses,

Bloemfontein situated in the free state. I completed my undergraduate at the University of the free state and I am currently completing my Honours in psychology at UKZN. I am very passionate about matters related to mental health, hence I aspire to be a clinical psychologist.

Growing up how was your childhood?

-Like any other queer young men, I had a challenging childhood. I was often tossed around for being feminine.

For not playing soccer. Childhood was rather less comfortable like childhood of any other child.

How did you see HIV Before you were HIV positive and now what can you say that has changed the way you use to see it? 

-Like any other person would attest, I used to fear HIV. And this is because we were taught that HIV is a deadly virus and it has a reputation for killing people. I grew up with that. I was not well informed about the virus. When it came to dating, it was a deal breaker when someone was HIV positive. In contrast, I understand HIV better now. I am well informed and I understand that you can still live a perfectly normal life after testing positive. I understand that there are precaution measures that you can take in order to avoid the transmission. In essence, its easy to be judgemental when you’re from the other side of the fence. We understand things better when we are experiencing them.

How did you find out you were positive?

-Well, after suffering from a pestering fever, on the morning of my birthday Innocently went to the doctor. And the doctor suggested an HIV test and I did not think anything of it because I thought it was just standard procedure. When the results came positive, everything changed and my world was turned up side down.

Did you lose any friends or family members when disclosing?

-Not even. I was and still am blessed enough to have family and friends who are well informed and very understanding. Although my parents were completely shocked and shuttered but that’s a natural respond for any parent.

What made you take it to social media?

-The sentimental behind posting on social media was to primarily make HIV Infected people understand that its okay to live with HIV. And to also make them understand that they are not alone. The aim was to also normalize celebrating our scars. I understand HIV as my scar and wear that scar with courage. I don’t shy away from it.


Is the society taught enough or the government doing enough TEACHING about HIV?


-Yes. I think enough information is provided in schools and any other institution. The campaigns are orientated towards the prevention and not how to live with HIV. That is why you have people who commit suicide after finding out. Because they do not see a future m. They perceive their life id. Gay men and HIV?

-Back in the days HIV was considered as a deadly virus, that was believed to have emerged from men.

There is still subtle notion that homosexuality is a gay sick. This is incorrect. HIV can happen to anyone.

Words you can share to someone reading this now?

-Life is a series of events from which we learn lessons from. Even on that day should you get injected, be reminded that its okay to live with HIV. Suicide should be an option. Most importantly, not every one got infected through reckless sexual behaviour. Be kind to people. It could be you because tomorrow it could be your

What advise can you give someone that is Struggling to accept?

-Its okay to struggle, because then that years you have taken the first step its okay to be afraid. This is because HIV was taught to us as a scary virus so for obvious reason it will scare you. But it gets better with time. Take it everyday as it comes. You look back on this day, like him do all the time, and count your blessings! Love and light.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts