I was told that I wont win, guess what?

Who is Adekunle Adewale?

Adekunle is an 18 year old black model from Ibadan, in Nigeria, lived here for my whole life. I school at Leadcity University, I'm a third law student, I write poems, and I also model, and gain I try to tell stories or create scenarios in my pictures, so basically I like to think I'm an artist.

When did the modelling career start?

Its always been there, the poise, the beauty and my mother always talked to me about it. I think I started thinking about it. I think I started thinking about being in a management at 14/15 thereabout, but that didn't quite workout, I didn't have the height so yeah I wasn't selected most times.

But in 2018 when I finished with secondary school I had a little bit of time on my hands so I started working towards it, January 2019 I joined a modelling academy and after the course I became part of them by default. But still I wasn't  doing anything. So COVID came in 2020 and I was having online classes but that wasn't taking so much time, so I saw this flier for a pageant, Mr Teen Nigeria, so I competed and won, that was where everything started making sense, I got the platform and now it was up to me to put myself to the world. So yeah that was like the beginning of everything for me. Thanks to HouseOfTwitch for that and my family and friends for the support.

What difficulties did you face before you won Mr Teen Nigeria? And how did that change your life?

So, at that period I had breakouts[I was pretty insecure, because I wasn't used to not looking perfect] so I was quite nervous that I asked the person in-charge if it matters if I do or not, and she said it doesn't matter so that was a relief.

So at some point we were supposed to go to camp, so I arrived there and then again I was the shortest, there were some of them who boasted about how they've walked fashion shows and how they've competed in pageants, everything was pretty new to me, so I was very skeptical. I didn't have so much difficulties with my catwalk[ already took a class at my academy, and I've always had the walk]

But a day to coronation night, we were having rehearsals and one of the contestants told me I wouldn't win and that I should contest in another pageant, that really hit me, so I called my mother and she told me winning isn't everything and life is about trying new things and having fun while doing that. So yeah I pretty much did that and you know what? I won. These experiences really shaped me, and now it doesn't matter how my skin chooses to present itself, I am not less beautiful. Again no one matter what anyone says its their opinion, I always stick to doing the me that I know is perfect.

What can you tell someone who just started modelling or wants to start modelling?

To never give up, to find what works for them and stick to it. There's no one way to model, find your style and and be unique.

What are your plans for 5 years from now?

Well I like to go with the flow, but I have huge plans for greatness, so watch the space.

Is there any brand you'd like to collaborate with or a certain model?

Yes there are quite brands Id like to work with, mostly androgynous brands like
*Sisiano
*Telfar
And other big brands too Mugler, Jeanpaul, Balenciaga.
And oh I'll like to cover Vogue someday.

Where can people find you?

Twitter: Damilare_


Instagram: @The.Oluwa.daree



Poem Page: @Diamond_poemss

Comments

Popular Posts